Constipation is a major concern in the US. In a recent survey, over 4 million people in the United States have frequent constipation in one way or another.
Constipation is the most common digestive problem in the United States over all other chronic digestive conditions. It is 3 times more common in women than men. Moreover, about 900 people die annually from diseases associated with or related to constipation.
What are the Signs of Constipation?
Constipation is the irregular bowel movement or difficult passage of stools that persist for several weeks or longer. Generally having fewer than 3 bowel movements in a week is considered constipation. Straining to have bowel movements, feeling pain in the rectum, when passing stool is another common symptom.
What are the Common causes of Constipation?
Constipation happens when your colon absorbs lots of water from the waste(stool), which dries out and makes the stool hard inconsistency, which becomes difficult to excrete.
There are many causes of constipation such as medical conditions, an unbalanced diet, pregnancy, and other lifestyle changes that can lead to constipation. Some of which are;
- Eating low in fiber foods.
- Dehydration or not drinking enough water
- Not exercising enough
- Frequent changes in your regular routine, such as a lot of traveling or eating fast foods or going to bed at different times.
- Eating large amounts of dairy and dairy products.
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement.
How to prevent Constipation and its effects?
The following tips can help you avoid developing constipation.
- Increase your daily water intake; have a glass of water with lemon first in the morning.
- Add vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and other high-fiber foods to your diet.
- Eat less fatty foods, like meat, milk, cheese, and eggs.
- Write a food diary and identify foods that constipate you.
- Exercise regularly even if it is just walking.
- Psyllium husk is good to relieve constipation, have a spoon of psyllium husk in a glass of water, leave it for a few minutes, and drink it.
- Synogut supplements are good to keep overall digestive health, especially helpful in constipation and its related issues. You can order from the Synogut official website.
Best high fiber foods to relieve constipation
Constipation has various reasons, but it’s often the result of dehydration, a poor diet, medication, illness, disease affecting the nervous system, and pregnancy.
Eating high-fiber foods and drinking lots of water can relieve constipation in most cases.
For best results, have the following foods regularly in good quantity to prevent constipation.
1. Beans, peas, and lentils
2. Chia seeds
3. Flax seeds
4. Whole grains
5. Oat bran or wheat bran
Following the below-mentioned method, you can treat yourself at home and prevent becoming a chronic problem.
- Include plenty of high-fiber foods in your diet, such as beans, vegetables, fruits, whole grain cereals, and bran. Most of the fiber in fruits is found in the skins like apples. Eat bran cereals or add to other foods, like soup and yogurt. People suffering constipation should eat between 18 to 30 grams of fiber every day.
- Eat fewer foods with low amounts of fiber, such as processed foods, and dairy and meat products.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water, fruit juices, vegetable soups.
- Stay as active as possible and try to get regular exercise.
- Try to manage stress. Plan ahead re-arrange your surroundings.
- Don’t ignore the urge to pass stool.
- Try to create a regular schedule for bowel movements, especially after a meal.
- Make sure children who begin to eat solid foods get plenty of fiber in their diets.
If someone has constipation along with severe abdominal pain or has blood in the stool should see a doctor.