If you have been talking about diet or weight loss, you have probably come across the word ketogenic diet or keto diet.
And there is no doubt, that the ketogenic diet has become one of the most popular ways to lose weight and improve health in the world. According to Google statistics, it was the most sought-after diet in the world.
Many studies have also indicated that the use of this low-carbohydrate and high-fat diet can prevent and even halt the improvement of certain diseases, such as type 2 diabetes or cognitive impairment.
If you want to follow a keto diet, we will tell you what to eat and what to avoid. What’s more, we have prepared a one-week ketogenic menu to get you started.
The keto diet is generally very low in carbohydrates, high in fat and moderate in protein.
When a ketogenic diet is followed, carbohydrates are generally reduced to less than 50 grams per day, whereas stricter and looser versions of the diet exist. The amount of protein should be around 20% of the energy requirement, while carbohydrates are usually limited to 5%. only
Carbohydrate intake should be limited and replace by fats and proteins, 75% of calories come from fats, and the remaining 25% from proteins and carbohydrates.
Ketones are naturally present in the blood, but they can also exist in various forms with breathing and urine. Ketones concentrations can be measured from all of these.
Reducing carbohydrates makes your body take its main source of energy from fats rather than glucose – this state is called ketosis. In this state, your body uses keto substances generated from fat in the liver as an alternative fuel.
Although fat is often avoided due to its caloric content, studies show that a ketogenic diet is much more effective in promoting weight loss than a low-fat diet.
Furthermore, a ketogenic diet reduces hunger which can be especially helpful when trying to lose weight
Shifting to a ketogenic diet may seem overwhelming, but it should not be difficult. You should focus on reducing carbs by increasing the fat and protein content in your food.
For some people, achieving ketosis may require limiting carbohydrates to 20 grams per day, while others may be successful with a much higher carbohydrate intake.
It is also important to intake a good quality of carbohydrates, especially their overall effect on blood sugar. The less carbohydrate you consume, the easier it is to reach and stay in ketosis.
Therefore, consuming keto-friendly food and avoiding carbohydrates is the best way to succeed in losing weight with a keto diet.
How Do You Know You Are in the State of Ketosis?
When trying a ketogenic diet for the first time, it may be hard to say ketosis has been achieved.
A Custom Keto Diet plan is designed to move you into ketosis by shifting your macro balance towards high fat, moderate protein, and very low carbohydrate. This provides plenty of fat you can use for energy instead of carbohydrates, which are used in a normal diet.
When following a ketogenic diet, meals and snacks should consist of the following foods:
- Eggs: Best option to have organic hen eggs.
- Poultry: Chicken and Turkey.
- Organic meat: Grass-fed beef, Pork.
- Fatty fish: Wild salmon, Mackerel, and Herring.
- Whole fat dairy products: Butter, Cream, and Yogurt.
- Whole fat cheeses: Cream Cheese, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Goat Cheese
- Nuts and seeds: Flax seeds, Peanuts, Macadamia nuts, Almonds, Walnuts, and Pumpkin seeds
- Peanut Butter: Organic Peanut, Almond, and Cashew nuts.
- Healthy fats: Olive oil, Coconut oil, Avocado oil, Coconut butter, and Sesame oil.
- Avocados: Avocados can be added to any meal or snack.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Leafy greens, Broccoli, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, and Peppers.
- Spices: Salt, Pepper, Lemon juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, Fresh herbs and Spices
Foods to avoid (Or Limit)
The following foods should be restricted. Avoid all high carbohydrate foods when following the Keto diet.
- Bread and Pastries: Donuts, White bread, Wholemeal bread, Biscuits, and Buns, etc.
- Confectionery and Sugary foods: Sugar and all Sugary items, Ice cream and Confectionery.
- Sweetened drinks: Lemonades, Juices, Cokes, Sweetened teas, and Sports drinks.
- Pasta: Spaghetti and Noodles.
- Cereals and cereal products: Wheat, Rice, Oats, Breakfast Cereals, and Tortillas.
- Starchy vegetables: Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas, Corn and Pumpkin.
- Beans and legumes: Chickpeas, Lentils, Kidney Beans and Black beans
- Fruit: Citrus Fruits, Grapes, Pineapple, and Bananas.
- Sauces: BBQ sauce and Sugary salad dressings.
- Certain alcoholic beverages: Beer and Sugary beverages
Although carbohydrates should be restricted, as long as you stay within the carbon limits of a ketogenic diet, you can limit your consumption of low-glycemic fruits such as berries.
Obviously Eat healthy foods and avoid processed foods and unhealthy fat
The following foods should be avoided:
- Diet Foods: Artificial Food colors, preservatives, and sweeteners such as sugar alcohols and aspartame.
- Unhealthy fats: Vegetable oils such as canola and corn oil and Margarine
- Processed foods: Processed Meat Products, Fast food, and packaged foods
- Coconut water is a suitable drink for a ketogenic diet, it rejuvenates and hydrates the body and tastes good without harmful sugars.
- Sugar is present in a wide variety of drinks, such as Juice, Mulled Wine, Iced Tea, and Coffee beverages.
- In a ketogenic diet, it is essential to avoid high-carbon beverages, as well as high-carbohydrate foods. Sugary beverages are also often associated with different health problems, such as obesity and an increased risk of diabetes.
Well, there are many tasty, sugar-free choices to suit your keto diet.
- Water: Water is the best choice for maintaining body hydrant and can be enjoyed throughout the day
- Carbonated water: If you are used to drinking slimy and energy drinks, carbonated water is an excellent substitute
- Unsweetened coffee: Try some cream to bring more flavor to your coffee.
- Unsweetened green tea: Green tea offers many health benefits and also tastes good.
If you want to add flavor to your water, try different keto-friendly flavor drink combinations.
For example, mixing fresh mint and lemon flavoring into a water bottle brings a nice variation in the taste of the water.
Whereas alcohol use should be limited, a low-carb beverage such as vodka with soda water or a glass of wine can sometimes be enjoyed.